Author Topic: Writing Turbo Games to Casette  (Read 4228 times)

Offline kalle

• View Profile
Writing Turbo Games to Casette
« on: September 13, 2020, 10:51:41 PM »
Hi,

I have successfully re-recorded some of my old original games to new tapes.

I have also successfully converted my Turbo Games to .tap files, I have tested them in the VICE c64 simulator.

But I have failed to write Turbo games back to new casettes.

Is this supposed to work?

Thanks in advance,
Kalle

Offline kalle

• View Profile
Re: Writing Turbo Games to Casette
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 07:46:59 PM »
Hi again,

I have re-recorded my new Turbo Tape, and I can visually see differences between the original recorded WAV-file and result when I write the TAP file back to tape (see image attached).

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance...

Offline Remzi

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 10:54:21 PM »
OK,let's try recording a turbo load game first.

Download the Turbo 250

http://www.load64.com/up/turbo.prg

Record it to the tape with the settings in the picture below

Download the Giana Sisters

http://www.load64.com/up/giana.prg

Record it to the tape with the settings in the picture

We checked the Raw Mode as we are going to use the Turbo 250 so we don't need another loader.

After recording them to tape,try it on your C64.Also do a backup and see if it comes up like the one before.

You won't get the colorful raster bars while loading with this turbo loader.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 10:59:09 PM by Remzi »

Offline kalle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 10:05:48 PM »
Thanks for your patience and you help.

I have totally missed the Wavprg program.

I recorded my old tapes to WAV using Audacity, and then converted them to TAP using Audiotap.exe.

I then used FinalTap to "clean" the TAP files into another TAP file.

Last i wrote the cleaned TAP files to new casettes, again using Audiotap.exe.

I tried the new casette in my physical C64, and it works with the turbo itself, but Giana Sister failed to load. I recorded the new casette to Wav File again, just to "see" it.

After your response above I looked at wavprg.exe (yes, it was in the guide, but I did not understand...).

I have a third casette, and used waveprg to write your PRG files (turbo.prg and giana.prg).

The third casette did not load at all in my physical c64.

Here is a better image of all my tries:

1. My original tape, at least 25 years old.  (Works!)
2. My TAP files, written using Audiotap.exe. (The turbo works, but not Giana)
3. Your PRG files, written using Wavprg.exe. (Neither the turbo or Giana works).

I am kind of obsessed with the idea to make a digital restored version of my own old tapes, thats why i keep going back to my own Wav files. :)

Offline Remzi

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 11:01:55 AM »
I'm not quite sure what is causing the problem.
Double check your settings and make sure it is set to 48000 Hz.Increase the speaker volume to 90.

Have you cleaned the heads on the datasette? Don't forget to clean the pinch roller as well.Check the drive belt,you need to change it if it's too loose.

Do you have a disk drive or an emulator like SD2IEC or Pi1541? You can try copying from disk to turbo tape and see if the datasette is faulty.

Offline kalle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 09:07:37 PM »
Thanks for your reply.

I have two different datasettes, none of them can successfully write turbo programs... They have not been cleaned, but both of them have new belts.

I have spent alot of time learning about how the information is coded on tape, and it seems obvious that none my datasettes can write the short pulses of a turbo program.

I know that my WAV files is OK, beacause if converted to TAP files all of my turbo games work in VICE. At least I have a digital backup now of my own casettes, and i actually have a couple of more C64 with datasettes coming in from a impulse buy on e-bay... :)

Anyway, thanks for taking the time. If i find out a way to solve my problem I will report here later for future reference.