Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
General Discussion / Commodore Datasette PCBs
« Last post by Overcomplicated on June 24, 2022, 02:56:22 AM »
Hello! I have a Commodore 1530 Datasette PCB and a Datasette cable that I want to use for a project but I haven't been able to find any pictures of what wires are soldered where on the board so please could someone provide some pictures of the top side of a Datasette PCB?
No probs buddy.I'm glad it was helpful.
There is an image for the Pi0 2W as well if you need it in future,

http://www.load64.com/epyx/
Just wanted to thank you for putting a link to your sd card content. I purchased a PI1541 zero hat and could not get the OLED display to show anything. I tried multiple configurations from multiple people to no avail. You are a great contributor to the continuing efforts to keep old hardware usable. Again, I bow to you with thanks.
1530USB Datasette to PC Adapter / Re: squeaking C64 tape or datassette
« Last post by ikrananka on June 07, 2022, 09:23:16 PM »
I too have a number of tapes that squeak when played in a 1530 Datassette, with some so bad that the play rate slows and sometimes stops.  I don't have that many tapes but around 10% exhibit this kind of behaviour to varying degrees (none will load).  I did try fast-forwarding and rewinding the tapes multiple times with absolutely no improvement.  What I found to be interesting is that the tapes do NOT squeak, or appear to slow down, when played in a normal music cassette player.

I read on some forums members stating many reasons for this problem, including cassette cases that have warped, the clear nylon sleeves inside the cassette case being worn or damaged and that the tape itself was physically damaged.  If any of these were the reason with my cassettes then I would imagine that the problem would also be apparent with a music cassette player - which it isn't.

Regardless, I went ahead and moved the reels of tape from one of my problematic C64 game cassettes into a donor audio cassette shell (with the audio cassettes' nylon sleeve).  I then tried to load the game and had exactly the same squeaking and slowing down that the tape exhibited when in its original cassette  shell.  So I can only conclude that the problem is the tape itself.

My subsequent research led me to the following YouTube video:

The presenter claims that all tapes were/are produced with an embedded lubricant and that this can fade/evaporate over time leading to significant friction between the tape and the tape pad/head.  He presents a method using a specific 3M wet silicone spray to "re-lubricate" the tape.  I have not tried this myself yet so cannot attest to how effective or safe this is or if it does any long term damage to the tapes.  Just letting you know for your info.  Look in the video description as there are plenty of references that appear to back up his assertion that tapes sometimes do need, and can be, re-lubricated.

Also, Last Factory (https://thelastfactory.com/tape-care-preservation/) claims that "Moisture is the top cause of tape degradation. Moisture absorbed by the polyurethane binder, a process called hydrolysis, degrades the binder of the tape. This may be seen as stickiness, flaking, or heard as tape squeal." and "As tape ages, in addition to absorbing moisture, it loses internal lubricants. This increases stick-slip and can result in tape squeal."  Apparently this is called Soft Binder Syndrome (SBS) and includes Sticky Shed Syndrome (SSS) due to the aforementioned hydrolysis and Loss of Lubricant (LoL).  Last Factory sells their own, very expensive, tape preservation fluid that also lubricates the tape.

Interestingly the metal plate (behind the tape pad) in my most problematic cassette is quite rusty.  So this cassette has been in a very humid environment and so may well have absorbed more moisture than most.  Apparently placing cassettes with SBS into a sealed container with silica gel to absorb moisture may help with the problem.

Other MODs / Re: Unlock Your Datasette
« Last post by Remzi on May 15, 2022, 02:33:18 PM »
I couldn't find the datasette with that particular board.
I will search for the schematics but I can't promise.I don't have much spare time these days.
« Last post by Gustavo on May 13, 2022, 09:13:40 PM »
Hi, sorry for confusing Lemon64 with Load64 in my first post.
This morning I found a cassette with only one game: UFO, and it loaded, now I know the datassette works.
I was measuring with the tester and in the place where I indicate in the image it gives 0.24V, not 1.7V as I read above

Remzi advise me please
1530USB Datasette to PC Adapter / Re: Setting up the adapter and how to use
« Last post by Remzi on May 03, 2022, 08:10:27 PM »
Recording MSX Games to Tapes:

Download castools and unzip it to your desktop.

http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~vincentd/download/castools-1.3.zip

Run the program MSXcastoolsUI.exe
Drag and drop the CAS file to it and convert it to WAV.
Play the WAV file with your audio player.Make sure volume is at maximum.Record it to tape.

Recording Spectrum Games to Tapes:

You can do the same with TZX files using WinTZX

https://worldofspectrum.net/pub/sinclair/tools/pc/winTZX0.9a.exe
« Last post by Gustavo on May 03, 2022, 05:00:18 AM »
Hello, this is my first post here on Lemon64.
Last week I found my Commodore 64 with its datassette at my parent's house after more than 35 years, but the game tapes have been lost.
I have not stopped looking for a way to get games on tape without success, until I found this thread in the forum and the third option "LINE IN for RECORDING" is what I need to do.
The problem is that although the PCB of my datassette (Commodore clone, no brand) is 1531, I see some differences, such as the ground wire, the two ICs, etc.
I hope you can help me solder the jack to record tapes on the datassette, I leave here two images

Sorry for my grammar, I'm using google translate, sorry also for reviving this thread

Gracias
1530USB Datasette to PC Adapter / Re: squeaking C64 tape or datassette
« Last post by Remzi on February 25, 2022, 10:41:22 PM »
Give it a good shake,fast forward to the end and rewind back.It usually does the trick.
1530USB Datasette to PC Adapter / squeaking C64 tape or datassette
« Last post by shoulders on February 22, 2022, 01:52:31 PM »
Hi

This is not an issue with my 1530USB

I am trying to image my tapes C64 tapes and some off them generate squeaks from the cassette player, play spin rate slows and sometimes the tapes even stop the tape player from turning. I believe this is a common issue with old tapes.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what I can do?

Do the tapes need to be lubricated?
Left out in a warm room for a couple of days?

I have tried new belts and another tape drive.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Tar

shoulders
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10