General Category > Other MODs

Unlock Your Datasette

(1/10) > >>

Remzi:
If you don't want to mod your datasette,check out 1530USB Adapter also this USB Tape Interface.

This mod requires some soldering skills.

You will be able to load games to your C64 using a PC,phone,tablet or MP3 player.
You can backup your original cassette tapes to your PC.
You can record games to blank cassette tapes.

These instructions for the datasette with the board code HCT-4 94HB NP-090B
If you have a different board,post a picture of it.I will have a look if I have the same one.

LINE OUT

Line out mod is for backing up/dumping cassette tapes to your PC.You can save it as wav with Audacity or convert it to tap with Audiotap.
You need to plug this into your PC's microphone in port.If you have a Line-in instead you might need to lower the resistance.
You will need a 100nF capacitor and a 22K resistor.If you open up an old radio,PC speakers or any audio equipment,you can salvage these parts.

LINE IN for LOADING

Line in mod is for loading games to your C64 from an audio source.
You can plug in to your PC's speaker out and use the Audiotap or WAV-PRG  to load sotware to C64.

LINE IN for RECORDING

This mod is for recording games to cassette tapes.Straight solder on job.No components needed.
Plug this into your PC's speaker output port.

If you want all above mods on your datasette,there will be 3X3.5mm audio jacks coming out of it.
If you have a newish laptop with mic and speaker combined;

You can use a 4 pole 3.5mm connector for Line-out and Line-in for loading.But you still need another connector for the Line-in for recording.
A simple SPDT switch can be installed on the datasette marked as LOAD and RECORD.I will try to find other solutions to avoid drilling the datasette.

whodan:
Thank you for your excellent description. I will make 3 audio female connector on the datasette.
But the 1530usb adapter is also a wonderful idea.I will cover it again with epoxy resin,to yuse it.

whodan:

--- Quote from: whodan on August 14, 2018, 08:08:18 AM ---Thank you for your excellent description. I will make 3 audio female connector on the datasette.
But the 1530usb adapter is also a wonderful idea.I will cover it again with epoxy resin,to use it.

--- End quote ---

nathan1974au:
2x mono female jacks would be nicer when drilled in the case!

whodan:
Hello Remzi,

I hope, you had wonderful holidays and noew I can send you my expirience about USB1530 and the direct Connections in the
datasette without the USB Soundcard.

My tests with the USB soundcard were were closed positively. I tested the recording from tape to .tap and the recording
from .tap to tape. In both directions, I've got on my C64 a positiv result.

I also made the solderconnections on the pcb of the datasette and had problems.
First I don't want to go out of the datasette with jack plug cables. Jack plug sockets I cannot insert in the housing, because there's no
place to go out, where the housing has a straight surface.

I tried it with two jack plug sockets on cables, but I could not close the housing, because I didn't want to drill holes and the
solution to make a hole in the sealing of the Datasette cable I didn't want.

Bit I think the 1530USB is a very simple and very good solution to make the copies.
So I use this one.But thank you for the news with the soldering connections.

best regards

Wolfgang

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version