Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Other MODs / Re: Unlock Your Datasette
« Last post by backtogeek on December 30, 2020, 10:51:29 PM »

I managed to get good signal from that pin in the photo using a 100nf capacitor.You might also use a 100k resistor instead.

Brilliant, I really appreciate that!

I have plenty of 0.1uf electrolytic caps which seem to work fine also on other boards
« Last post by Remzi on December 29, 2020, 04:21:44 PM »

I managed to get good signal from that pin in the photo using a 100nf capacitor.You might also use a 100k resistor instead.
DC/Battery Powered Commodore 64 / Re: Internal Battery Pack Mod for C64C
« Last post by Remzi on December 29, 2020, 04:17:09 PM »
I was getting about 2 hours out of the recycled laptop batteries.
Someone from Italy did the same mod and getting over 5 hours with brand new batteries.
I never measured the power usage.
DC/Battery Powered Commodore 64 / Re: Internal Battery Pack Mod for C64C
« Last post by cheater on December 29, 2020, 09:12:56 AM »

this is really cool and exactly what i want. can you clue me in on how long the c64 can stay running on just one charge? how much current does it consume on average? thanks mate!
« Last post by backtogeek on December 17, 2020, 09:39:15 AM »
I need to check my tape decks to find one with the same board.

Not sure if it helps, just now took a picture of the under side:

I can't even find a schematic for it here: http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/schematics/datassette/index.html

If there is another method of finding the pin I am happy to give it a try, I don't have an oscilloscope, I will make sure to share the answer here if/when I find it.
« Last post by Remzi on December 17, 2020, 08:10:21 AM »
I need to check my tape decks to find one with the same board.
« Last post by backtogeek on December 16, 2020, 09:47:10 PM »
Sorry for the bump, anyone got any ideas on the board above before I buy an oscilloscope :)
1530USB Datasette to PC Adapter / Failed Backup Troubleshooting
« Last post by Remzi on December 15, 2020, 05:59:12 PM »
Alright folks.These are the common problems I come across.

You backed up your tape but it doesn't work on emulator.

1.That tape game might have copy protection.

Downoad Vice 2.2 and start the x64.exe.
Go to Settings->Drive Settings -> Set the Drive 8 to NONE

Try your TAP file again.Vice 2.2 version is less picky and warp speed is around 3000%

2.Tape might be damaged.It is very likely chewed by the datasette 30 odd years ago.
That tape might load and run on the real hardware just fine.Because C64 loads and runs the program even if it has corrupted data.It will crash or glitch out during the game play.
Emulators crash while loading if there is corrupt data.

This is how it looks if the tape is damaged.

If the game is on both sides of the tape,you can backup both sides and stitch the good parts with the bad ones using audacity.

3.Finaltap gives 6%
If that game loader is not in the Finaltaps database,you will get very low percentage.
Do not clean/optimize as it might ruin that TAP file.
You might try to clean with the program called Tapclean as it has a larger database.

Download this TAP file and record it to a tape.Backup that tape and check with Finaltap.If you get 99% without cleaning,
it means the adapter,datasette and the tape is OK.
« Last post by backtogeek on December 14, 2020, 07:00:40 PM »
I just got another old one out of my junk box, the heads are gone on this one, it shows absolutely nothing when running any tape head alignment so I might as well do the same to this one as it will never read tapes again.

I cant seem to identify the left on it though, any ideas?

« Last post by backtogeek on December 14, 2020, 04:38:25 PM »
That's a grand job mate  ;)
Thanks for posting your results.

Thanks, I don't suppose you are aware of anything like tapdancer or CDT2WAV (Amstrad cpc464 equivalent mod) that runs on PC/Windows (or linux) ?

It would save a lot of effort and steps if I did not need to convert every single game to wav first.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]