Author Topic: Share your results  (Read 20064 times)

Online Remzi

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Share your results
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2019, 11:19:40 PM »
Thanks for the update angel.

You can use a freezer cartridge to record disk games to tapes.

Download the Action Replay ROM
Attach Action Replay VI to Winvice.Load the game and freeze it.

Watch this video to learn how to do it.

Offline kalle

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2020, 11:32:44 AM »
I received my 1530USB about a week ago, and it works flawless.

I have successfully recorded my favorite game The Newzealand Story, converted it to a .tap file, and wrote it back to a brand new casette tape.

I have a Phonemark datasette clone with a diod bar and a adjustable tape head, that give a great visual feedback of the "volume" of the signal on the tape.

With other words: My digital restored copy of the game feels much better than the original.

I have also started to record my old Turbo Games tapes, and it feels very good to re-record them. They where recorded with different tape head settings for every game, and it was always a mess to load them. Now I can re-record them so that all games has the same tape header level.

I have also managed to buy new tapes! Common casettes are not that common anymore...

Thanks alot for a great product and a great guide.

Online Remzi

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2020, 09:40:50 PM »
Thank you for spending your time and joining the forum to post your results.
Support forum has been very quite for almost a year.It's very nice and motivating to get feedback time to time.

Offline chriz74

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2020, 03:15:18 PM »
I can't create a Pitfall II .tap file that works. I am using a tape that loads fine on C64. I tried on 2 computers, I get 99% recognized but the tap just don't work.
Here is the wav.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tj45y76ho7xn68a/Pitfall2.rar?dl=0

Online Remzi

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2020, 04:24:07 PM »
TAP is fine mate.It's the copy protection.
Go to Vice settings ->Drive settings
Set the Drive 8 to NONE

Offline chriz74

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2020, 07:02:02 PM »
TAP is fine mate.It's the copy protection.
Go to Vice settings ->Drive settings
Set the Drive 8 to NONE

Did you optimize it in finaltap?

Online Remzi

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2020, 07:23:10 PM »
I tried but I didn't get all green.That tape is probably well worn out.It was a very popular game back then.Did you try the side B? You might get better results.

I managed to get the non-optimized one working with Winvice 2.2 disabling the floppy drive emulation.
Older versions of Vice are less picky and warp speed is 3000%.

Also try recording the TAP file back to a tape and try on real C64.

Offline DABYX

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2021, 10:23:27 PM »
Hey Remzi.

Recieved the adapter the other day and had a couple of teething troubles to begin with but seem to be getting good results now both backing up and recording!  ;D

I've found with my current setup that leaving the taps I create from wavs as-is is working better than running and optimising through finaltap/tapclean. Most of the time both programs don't recognise the files and they appear as very poor copies but running them unoptimised through winvice is working.

I pretty much always have the audio 'pops' at peast once per tape but it doesn't seem to affect the outcome.

Thanks very much for making this. Finally can make backups and copies. :)

Online Remzi

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2021, 08:56:15 AM »
Thank you for joining the forum and leaving a feedback DABYX.
I'm glad you are happy with it.
Cleaning and optimizing is not a must do procedure.It just gives a piece of mind.
You can also try Tapex which has a more up to date,larger database of loaders,

https://csdb.dk/release/?id=196280

Are you backing up a mix tape with the Turbo loader program at the begining and the games followed,that you have to rewind the tape everytime you want to load a different game? Those games don't have a loader,raw data.Finaltap will give poor results for them.

Offline DABYX

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2021, 08:58:51 AM »
Yea pretty happy. I've tried making parallel cables etc before but failed miserably and this is a godsend!

I'll give Tapex a try too.

No not tried multi tapes yet. I think it's just my old tapes to be honest or maybe the belt in my datasette.
One day I might try to service the datasette but for now everything is working fine in vice (and probably my c64, will try at the weekend) and that's good enough for me!  ;D

Edit:
Just a quick update, managing to get proper optimised versions of my backups. The only issue I was having which was driving me a bit barmy was my recorded tapes weren't working in Vice at all. Errors all the time. Once I tried on my actual hardware though it worked first time! So I'm guessing my PC just doesn't like using the autobat & vice.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 10:56:38 PM by DABYX »