Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2018, 07:35:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 11
  • Latest: nai1ed
Stats
  • Total Posts: 48
  • Total Topics: 12
  • Online Today: 13
  • Online Ever: 128
  • (August 21, 2018, 05:14:48 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 3
Total: 3

3 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Known Issues with the adapter  (Read 749 times)

Offline Remzi

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Known Issues with the adapter
« on: May 06, 2018, 12:39:08 PM »

I'm getting some popping noises.I'm not sure if it's caused by my datasette,the tape,software,PC or the adapter itself.

It's not effecting the quality of the records.C64 loads the tapes just fine.Finaltap reports usually %99 sometimes %100

Investigating.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 08:28:44 PM by Remzi »

Offline Remzi

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Known Issues with the adapter
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 10:42:06 PM »
Two buyers reported that they had problems while backing up 45 and 60 minute tapes.

Near the end of the tape,datasette slows down,struggles to rotate.

First thing to do is change the drive belt and clean the heads+pinch roller.

If there are screws on the tape,unscrew it little bit,it might be too tight inside.

I checked the voltages and the adapter is supplying around 4.5 volts to the DC motor on the datasette where it should be 6 volts.

I will redesign the PCB and add a voltage regulator to the adapter to supply full 6 volts to the DC Motor.

That should fix this problem.

Fingers crossed.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 02:40:07 PM by Remzi »

Offline Remzi

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 02:47:27 PM »
I've done a bit of research.Step down voltage regulators are usually one single chip.But step up boosters needs a coil and few more chips.I want to keep the original casing for this adapter.I want to keep it simple and cheap.I don't want to reinvent the DC2N.

And also I don't think 1 volt can make a huge difference,as long as it can draw the current it needs.

whodan

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 09:41:40 AM »
I'm surely, that this is the problem with long cassettes. I test with a C60 BASF cassette and sometimes I couldn't load a programm.
If I winded and rewinded the tape, than it was OK.
This is the problem of long tapes and perhaps older belts. I changed them to new one and do not have the problems.
But long tapes are no good choice anyway.
The input64 tapes are only C15 ore a littlt bit longer tapes. So I had no problem with it.
The only one problem I had, that I had to  justage from tape to tape (input64 are sometimes a little bit different) with my
built in LOAD IT-Module. But you can also need the program AZIMUTH for this work.

best regards

Wolfgang Hodan